Does it seem like everywhere you turn, you’re being sold some new “superfood” or “immune booster”? With both acute and chronic illness on the rise, more people are searching for ways to support their immune health.
The real question is whether it’s even possible (or beneficial) to “boost” immune function. The answer is… sort of. Most products sold as immune “boosters” aren’t truly boosters, they’re modulators.
Immune modulation is different from simply stimulating the immune system. It involves bringing the ratio of different immune cells back into balance to enable the immune system to function correctly. Whether we’re working to prevent an infection, or supporting an active one, it’s important to look at balancing this system as a whole.
When building a protocol for a client, the key is bio-individuality. What works for me may not work for you, because our bodies have unique needs and challenges. This is why it’s so important to work with a practitioner versed in nutrition and functional medicine to help you TAILOR a protocol specific to your biological requirements.
That being said, there are certain nutrition and supplement recommendations that work for most people. Some of the top immune modulators include:
- Fish Oil
- N Acetyl Cysteine (NAC)
- Vitamin D3
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Omega 3 rich foods (grass fed beef/bison, salmon, sardines, pastured egg yolks, flax, hemp, chia, pumpkin seeds)
- Cruciferous vegetables (kale, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower)
- Leafy greens (kale, chard, mixed greens, spinach, arugula, collards, mustard greens, lettuce)
- Fermented Foods (plain yogurt/kefir, sauerkraut, kimchi, fermented vegetables, kombucha)
- Vitamin C rich foods (berries, bell peppers, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, citrus, kiwi, cantaloupe, papaya, strawberries)
- Grass-fed butter or ghee
- Olives/olive oil
- Coconut oil
- Bone broth
- Green tea (organic)- you may need to avoid if you’ve been diagnosed with an autoimmune condition- consult your doctor/health practitioner.
If you’re struggling with a chronic illness such as Hashimoto’s, autoimmune disease, long haulers, or frequent colds/flus, we can help! Schedule a Free Discovery Call to learn more.