Yogurt is a popular breakfast and snack option, and a great source of probiotics (the friendly bacteria that help keep your gut healthy). For those that don’t do well with dairy, however, finding a clean store-bought yogurt that actually tastes good can be challenging! This coconut milk yogurt is more affordable than most store bought versions, and requires only 2 ingredients plus a few simple steps.
- 1 (14 ounce) can full fat coconut milk (Thai Kitchen, Native Forest, or Whole Foods 365 Organic work well)
- 2 capsules dairy free/vegan probiotic (Renew Life Ultimate Flora Extra Care 50 Billion or Jarrow Jarro-Dophilus 10 Billion work well)
- Empty coconut milk into a clean, dry glass bowl or mason jar. If the coconut milk has separated, use a whisk or electric mixer to combine until smooth.
- Open up the probiotic capsules and empty them into the milk. Use a wooden, silicone, or plastic spoon/spatula to mix the probiotics in. Metal can react with the probiotics and the yogurt may not ferment properly.
- Cover the mixture with cheese cloth (or a thin/clean dish towel) and secure with a rubber band.
- Allow the yogurt to sit for a minimum of 24, maximum of 48 hours at a warm temperature (above 75 degrees). In cooler weather/climates, you can place the yogurt in the oven with the light on (oven remains off), which should help maintain the right temperature. The yogurt will get thicker and tangier closer to 48 hours, so adjust timing to your preference.
- Sample the yogurt with a wooden or plastic spoon. If it’s done to your liking, cover it with a lid and refrigerate until cold. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.